Huntington Beach Surf City California Information and Travel Guide

 SurfCityCalifornia Information, Entertainment, Hotels & Resorts News Edition

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. There is a construction project underway adjacent to my property that is generating noise and dust. What can I do?
A. Concerns regarding noise and dust associated with construction on public property should be referred to the Public Works Construction Manager at (714) 536-5431. If the construction appears to be taking place on private property, you should call the Building and Safety Department at (714) 536-5241.


Q. Where can I get City Events Information
A. Huntington Beach Events

For information about concerts at Pier Plaza contact the Pier Plaza Hotline at 714-374-1657 or Community Services at 714-536-5486.

For information about obtaining a permit to organize a special event on public property contact  Community Services at 714-536-5486

Music in the Park Series Information - Art Center 536-5258

Fourth of July Parade and Celebration contact Community Services at 714-536-5486.


Q. Where can I get an equipment citation signed off? A. Equipment violations can be signed off at the Traffic Bureau between the hours of 7:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Our Department will sign off a citation issued by Huntington Beach Police Officers or citations issued by another department if the violator is a Huntington Beach resident. Citations issued by another city or for non-residents require a $10.00 fee.


Q. What is the flood zone designation for my property?
A. To find out if your property is in a flood zone, please call the Planning Department at 536-5271. You may also view the flood map on the 3rd floor of City Hall during regular business hours. The Federal Emergency Management Agency also has an excellent website with maps and further information

Q. Do I have to pay for flood insurance?
Your lender determines whether or not you need flood insurance. Federal law requires property owners who are being assisted by federal programs or federally regulated institutions to buy flood insurance for properties in a floodplain. A flood insurance policy may be purchased from any licensed property insurance agent or broker.


Q. What number should I call for graffiti Removal?
A. For graffiti removal on city property only, please call the Public Work Department at 714/960-8861.


Q. Where can I take hazardous materials, such as old paint, cleaning products, oil, and auto fluides?
A. You may take items such as the above to the Orange County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center located at Rainbow Disposal, 1712 Nichols St., Huntington Beach. For mor information, please call 714 834 6752.


Q. Does the city have a first-time homebuyers or down payment assistance program?
A. The city does not have either a first-time homebuyers or down payment assistance loan program. There are some countywide programs in place and informational flyers are available in the Economic Development Department or by calling (714) 536-5542.

Q. I can't afford to buy a home in HB. Does the city have a program to help?
A. The city's Inclusionary Housing Program is available to help eligible homebuyers. Houses sold through this program are identified as "affordable" and are restricted to low, median, and moderate-income buyers. Throughout the city, there are several hundred homes (condos, town homes, and detached houses) currently priced from around $200,000 to the high $300,000's, depending on the size, type, and location of the home. When any of these homes are sold, they must be sold to an eligible buyer and their price must be sold under the affordable housing requirements. Detailed information about the Inclusionary Housing program may be obtained on the city's website, "Economic Development Department," then "Housing."

Q. How can I find out when these "affordable" houses are listed for sale?
A. Homes become available when a homeowner decides to sell or when new affordable developments are built. These homes are listed and sold through realtors, not through the City. The city only has information on "affordable homes" for sale under the Inclusionary Housing Program. Again, if you're interested in this program, you can obtain a current listing by contacting Economic Development at (714) 536-5542.


Q. I own an "affordable home," and I want to sell. What do I need to do?
A. You will need to get an Inclusionary Housing Program packet and submit the "Request for Sales Price Determination" form to the city. It is your responsibility to have the city calculate your maximum affordable sales price before executing a sales agreement with a potential buyer. It is also your responsibility to find an income-eligible buyer and to have that buyer approved by the city. Any sale of an affordable home that has not gone through these steps will not be allowed.

Q. I own an "affordable" home, and I want to refinance my mortgage/get an equity line of credit on my home. What do I need to do?
A. The city has limits on the amount of debt allowed on Inclusionary Housing Program homes. If you are refinancing to obtain better loan terms, and you are not taking any cash out, your refinance will be allowed. You should have your lender or escrow company call for an application. If you are planning on refinancing in order to take cash out or if you intend to place an additional loan on your home, you need to confirm if your proposed new loan(s) fall within the allowable debt limits.

Q. I'm behind in my mortgage payments and I am about to lose my house. Can the City help me?
The city does not have an emergency mortgage assistance program.

Q. Does the City have funds available for a housing rehabilitation loan to do home improvements to my (1) mobile home? (2) single-family home?
A. The City does have a rehabilitation loan program available for home improvement loans; however, there are median income requirements to meet. Informational flyers are available in the Economic Development Dept. or you can call (714) 536-5542. Information about the City's rehabilitation loan program is available on the city's website, under Economic Development Department, then "Housing, " then "Housing Rehabilitation Loan Program."

For further questions regarding the Housing Rehabilitation Loan Program, please contact (714) 536-5542.


Q. When do I need a building inspection?
A. Inspection is required for all work authorized by a building, electric, plumbing, mechanical or swimming pool permit. Small projects such as water heater and furnace replacements may only require a single inspection while larger projects such as additions and new buildings require several in progress inspections. The inspection record card identifies when inspection is required for the various phases of work on a project.

Q. How do I request an inspection?
A. The city uses an automated inspection request system, which may be accessed by calling 536-5241, ext. 1. In order to schedule an inspection, you will need to know:

1. Permit number
2. Job address
3. Type of inspection to be scheduled (building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, or fire).

Q. How quickly can I schedule an inspection?
A. Inspections scheduled before 4:30 PM of any working day are normally performed on the next regularly scheduled workday. At the conclusion of an inspection, the inspector will record an approval and date on the inspection record card or will leave a written correction notice indicating the items that must be corrected.

Q. How can I speak directly to an Inspector in person?
A. Inspectors are available to answer code questions or discuss inspection matters by telephone or at the 3rd Floor Building counter between 7:30 AM and 8:00 AM and between 4:00 PM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. You may also call 536-5241, ext. 0, or a listing of all inspectors and their extensions.

Q. What if I'm not sure when to schedule an inspection?
A. If you have any questions regarding when your project must be inspected or if you need help in scheduling an inspection, please refer to 536-5241, ext 0.